Are You a Political Scientist?
Have you begun to think about how human politics are shifting in an age of new social dynamics made possible by the technologies of the Information Age? In the United States, for instance, political fundraising has changed dramatically through the use of the Internet, beginning with the innovative application of the Internet by Governor Howard Dean in his campaign for President of the United States.
Here are just a few of the issues facing all Humankind that you might consider studying:
- Will new governing structures arise as a result of the coming of the Information Age?
- Can the administrative organizations that deliver government services be improved and made more cost-effective and efficient in an era of shrinking tax dollars?
- How do governments promote and protect human privacy in a high-speed, high-tech environment?
- How can we make use of the tools of the Information Age to promote greater involvement in political policy and decision-making by all Citizens?
- What are the ramifications of the disappearance of local newspapers as a vital tool for public discussion and awareness of issues – something being driven by the evolution of the Information Age?
- What does it mean that the information flow across the world now transcends the power of passports and Customs?
- Has the Information Age set in motion forces that will drive us to behaving as one world as a result of instantaneous information being delivered at the speed of light thanks to the move to optical fiber transmission networks now girdling the globe?
- If so, do we just let this happen on its own or do we make the choice to think about and plan our way to new types of human cooperation that might now be possible?
These are not just "interesting" issues facing us. These are issues that are changing the entire world in ways that are simple gigantic.
So it is important to understand whether you, as a political scientist, believe that the Information Age is a true new age. Such a perspective changes all your premises about what political science is and is supposed to understand. Do you recognize the importance of the work political science must do to cast light upon what our political systems not only might, but also will become?
- Questions to Ask Your Nation's Leaders
- Are You a Politician?
- Video - "Defining the Information Age"
- Why the World Is a Mess
- Are You an Economist?
- Are You a Sociologist?
- Are You an Historian?
- Are You a Philosopher?
- Are You a Teacher?
- The People Behind the Information Age
- Why This Website Is For Everyone on This Planet
- What Does The Theory of the Information Age Require?
- Some Resources - Books & Video