Are You a Sociologist?
If you are, you need to understand that sociologists have entered a Golden Age of research and study. The interconnection of computers via telecommunications – the most fundamental principle driving the Information Age – has begun to link the world together in ways never seen before or even imagined.
For instance, could you have imagined even a few years ago that an application like Facebook would be created that could actually achieve a billion (that’s 1,000,000,000) participants? And what is one to make – and understand – regarding a phenomenon like “Twitter” where there is now an ongoing conversation (or is it “chatter”?) between human beings nearly around the clock around the world?
What does it mean in terms of society when borders have been superseded by technology? Are we driving towards becoming Earthlings as the world in tied closer and closer together by the tools of the Information Age?
And there are other, equally important changes that humans did not really foresee. Judge by these recent headlines:
“Primetime viewing sees seismic shift – Streaming, DVRs reflect big change in younger demographics” – Daily Variety, October 17, 2012
“Is the death of newspapers the end of good citizenship?” – The Christian Science Monitor, November 11, 2012
Have you, as a sociologist, begun to study questions such as these?
- What does it mean to society when bookstores and newspapers and magazines are becoming an online phenomenon?
- Are you beginning to consider that the human species may be starting an evolutionary step that could not have been anticipated?
- Are you starting to frame your thinking in Information Age terms or are you merely seeing these massive changes as a novelty that’s part of the Industrial Age?
Never before in history have we seen human group dynamics working on such a massive, global scale. The sociologists who can give the human species insight into the phenomena now occurring may well become some of the greatest influencers in history.
Will you step to the fore as a leader or will you just let this unparalleled opportunity pass you by?
- Video - "Defining the Information Age"
- Why the World Is a Mess
- Are You a Political Scientist?
- Are You an Historian?
- Are You a Politician?
- Are You a Philosopher?
- Are You a Teacher?
- The People Behind the Information Age
- Why This Website Is For Everyone on This Planet
- What Does The Theory of the Information Age Require?
- Questions to Ask Your Nation's Leaders